1946 – 1947
Laredo Junior College is created on September 28, 1946 by the voting citizens of the Independent School District of Laredo on the ground of the former Fort McIntosh military post.
The first year of Laredo Junior College begins on Tuesday, September 9, 1947 under the leadership of President W. J. Adkins.
New buildings put into use following repairs are the Music Building, the Corral, Student Union, and the Fort McIntosh Memorial Library.
The Administration Building is remodeled. In line with the continued growth, new parking area are designated and new traffic regulations are enacted.
Dr. Ray A. Laird, dean at LJC for 11 years, is named by the school board as the college’s second president.
LJC develops its first campus master plan and building construction is initiated. Many Ft. McIntosh structures are still used by LJC.
The Dr. Leonides Gonzalez Cigarroa Science Building (left) and the Harold R. Year Library (above) are formally dedicated on April 26. Both men were longtime board members for the college and served as president of the board.
The W. J. Adkins Building is named for the college’s first.
LJC´s new gymnasium is built. The LJC board names the facility after Cpl. Quintin Maravillo, the first Laredo college student to die in overseas military action.
In 1974, Dr. Domingo Arechiga takes the helm as the third president of LJC after serving as president-elect for six months. That same year, the Board of Trustees for Laredo Junior College is
created on Feb. 14.
The LJC student body gets a new home to congregate in between classes with the construction of the Kazen College Center, named for the late Congressman Abraham “Chick” Kazen.
The Sue Killam Dormitories are constructed and named in honor of Sue Killam, whose family donated funds for the building´s construction.
The Administration Building, destroyed in a fire in the late 1980s, is rebuilt and renamed Arechiga Hall in memory of former President Arechiga.
The LCC Board of Trustees officially changes the name of Laredo Junior College to Laredo Community College.
LCC celebrates its 50th anniversary with a city-wide schedule of activities, including a golden gala to recognize its Top 50 Distinguished Alumni.
LCC celebrates the opening of its second campus, LCC South, with a large community celebration highlighted by fireworks and mariachi music.
The new print services building is named the Chapa – Mora Print Shop, after the first two supervisors of the print services facility — Jose Mora and Isidro Chapa.
New President Dr. Ricardo Solis, 2016 to present.